This year marks the 50th Earth Day! Now more than ever we need to come together as a planet and work towards a greener, healthier Earth.
Earth Day began in 1970 and shed much needed light on emerging environmental concerns around the world. The idea sparked from the massive oil spill in Santa Barbara in 1969. The founder, Gaylord Nelson, was a US Senator from Wisconsin who realized he could infuse environmental protection into the national political agenda. In 1990, Earth Day was recognized globally, recycling efforts were boosted, and in 1992 the United Nations Earth Summit was created.
Today, Earth Day is focused on action, and what we as a population can do to minimize our environmental impact. There are several ways we can make a difference in our everyday lives:
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Don't let the water run while you wash your hands. (Use your wrist to turn the tap on or off).
- Notify your landlord of any leaks in taps, drains, or showerheads.
Eliminate unnecessary vehicle trips:
- Go for a bike ride or walk instead of a drive when you want to get out of the house.
- Avoid frequent trips to the store. Purchase what you'll need for two or more weeks at time.
- When buying online, save up purchases and order once per month to eliminate frequent shipments.
Reduce the number of chemical cleaners you use at your home:
- Clean naturally with these Eco-Friendly cleaning recipes.
- Microfibre cleaning cloths work like a magnet and remove 99% of bacteria.
- Natural cleaners and cloths work well at killing most bacteria but aren't recommended as a disinfectant. After cleaning, make your own disinfectant to wipe down surfaces.
Educate your children:
- There are several learning resources that offer Earth Day educational activities for children.
- Use recyclable materials to make crafts to educate children on why Earth Day is important.
Living closer to your necessities will help minimize your environmental impact by reducing your need for a vehicle. Our apartments in Aurora and Sault Ste. Marie are located in prime areas near several shops, offices, and entertainment venues.